A slow cooked beef casserole is the perfect meal for an autumn day! Try this slow cook beef stew with red wine, Philly Cream and tomatoes.
What you need
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 1 kg gravy beef, cut into chunks
- 2 tablespoons plain flour
- 8 shallots, peeled and halved
- 3 cloves garlic, thickly sliced
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 cup red wine
- 400 g can diced tomatoes
- 1/4 cup tomato paste
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1-1/2 tablespoon fresh thyme leaves
- 250 ml s PHILADELPHIA Light Cream For Cooking, a cream alternative
- Pearl couscous, for serving
- Steamed greens, for serving
How to make it
HEAT 1 tablespoon oil in a large saucepan. Add beef in batches and cook for 3-4 minutes on each side until browned. Transfer to a slow cooker and sprinkle with flour.
HEAT remaining oil in the same saucepan then add the shallots and cook over medium-low heat until softened. Add garlic and smoked paprika and cook for a further minute until fragrant. Add wine and bring to the boil. Pour mixture over beef. Stir in tomatoes, tomato paste, sugar and thyme. Cover slow cooker and cook on HIGH for 4 hours or until just tender.
STIR through the PHILLY and allow to simmer a further 10 minutes until heated through. Spoon into serving bowls with the couscous and steamed greens. Serve immediately.