This sweet potato and chickpea curry is a delicious, hearty vegetarian dish using Philadelphia Extra Light Cream that even meat lovers will love!
What you need
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 1 large onion, thinly sliced
- 4 cloves garlic, crushed
- 2 cm piece ginger, finely grated
- 1 green chilli, seeded and finely sliced
- 2 teaspoons garam masala
- 2 teaspoons ground coriander
- 2 teaspoons cumin
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 1 large carrot, cut into 2cm pieces
- 2 x 400 g cans chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 400 g sweet potato (kumera), cut into 3cm pieces
- 2-1/3 cups water
- 250 ml s PHILADELPHIA Light Cream For Cooking, a cream alternative
- 1 cup frozen peas, thawed
- 1 cup coriander leaves
- Steamed rice, for serving
- Extra coriander leaves, for garnish
How to make it
HEAT the oil in a large saucepan; add onion, garlic, ginger and chilli and cook, stirring frequently over medium heat for 3 minutes or until onion is softened.
ADD the spices, carrot, chickpeas and tomato paste and cook for 4-5 minutes or until fragrant, add the sweet potato and water and bring to the boil. Reduce heat, cover and simmer for 20-25 minutes or until vegetables are tender.
STIR through the PHILLY, peas and coriander then simmer another 5 minutes until heated through. (Add a little extra water, if required). Spoon into serving bowls with rice and garnish with extra coriander. Serve immediately.